Are Grapes Toxic To Dogs? The Truth

As a dog owner, your main goal is to keep your dog healthy and happy. You ensure that it gets the life it deserves. One of the main things that any pet owner has concern over is their pets’ nutrition. 

You must give your dog nutritious food to grow into a healthy one. To do this, you should know what food is good to give your dog and what you should avoid giving.

Grapes may be a favorite fruit among many, but are grapes toxic to dogs? The truth may not be what you expect it to be, as you will learn when reading below.

Are Grapes Toxic To Dogs?

Unfortunately, grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Though you may be able to enjoy these fruits whenever you want, you should never give them to your dog.

Grapes are toxic to dogs irrespective of gender, breed, age, or other factors. So you cannot feed grapes to your puppy or adult dog. 

All kinds of red, green, and purple grapes are toxic to dogs. Any form of grapes, such as fresh, cooked, peeled, dried, and seedless, are bad for your dog, even in small amounts.

You should not give your dog any product containing grapes, including juices, jam, and jelly.

As a rule of thumb, it’s advisable always to consult your veterinarian when you are about to give your dog any new food and if you are in doubt about its effects on your dog.

You should also avoid giving your dog raisins. Raisins are more toxic than grapes because the fruit is more concentrated in the dried version.

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Grapes?

Much research has been conducted on why dogs can’t eat grapes and what makes them toxic. Firstly, grapes can be a choking hazard which could be fatal to dogs.

Grapes do contain a substance that makes them poisonous. Much research is put into finding out what this substance is. Some studies link tartaric acid grapes to cause toxicity symptoms in dogs.

Other research remains incomplete, with an unknown substance causing dog grape toxicity. 

Although this substance may be unknown, dogs can’t metabolize grapes’ flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides. It could also be the primary reason for grape toxicity in dogs.

Whatever the toxic substances are, eating grapes can lead to acute kidney failure in dogs and even be fatal.

How Many Grapes Are Toxic To Dogs?

Any amount of grapes are toxic to dogs. It means you should not give even a tiny amount of grapes, such as one grape.

Grape toxicity has been reported with the ingestion of 0.7 ounces of grapes and 0.11 ounces of raisins.

An average-sized seedless grape weighs approximately 0.2 ounces. Therefore, the toxic dose of grapes for a 22-pound dog would be 7 ounces or a bunch containing 35 grapes. 

So you should keep your favorite summertime fruit away from your dog as it is highly poisonous to them. You should also advise your guests not to give your dog such treats when they call your house.

You should also not give your dog grape jam or jelly. Besides grapes, these products may contain many other harmful and toxic ingredients to dogs, including xylitol. They also contain too much sugar, which is not advisable to give your dog.

Signs Of Grapes Toxicity In Dogs

The following are the symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs. You need to take your dog to the vet immediately once you know your dog has eaten grapes or if you see any of the below symptoms in your dog.

  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst, which results in drinking a lot
  • Increased urination
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness, lethargy, or unusual quietness
  • Decreased urinating or not urinating at all
  • Dehydration
  • Bad breath
  • Seizure
  • Coma
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Kidney damage or failure
  • Pain when you touch the abdomen

Acute symptoms of grape toxicity develop within 24 hours of eating the fruit. Initial signs include loss of appetite, lethargy, and weakness.

Signs of vomiting and diarrhea begin within the first few hours of ingesting grapes or raisins. You may realize that there are pieces of these fruits in your dog’s stool or vomit.

Excessive thirst and increased or decreased urination could mean your dog’s kidneys fail. These signs indicate the initial stages of kidney failure.

You can check if your dog is dehydrated by pulling up the skin at the back of its neck. Your dog is dehydrated if the skin doesn’t fall back into place immediately.

What To Do If A Dog Eats Grapes?

If you know that your dog has eaten grapes, you must act immediately. Even a minimal amount of grapes could be poisonous to your dog. 

For example, an amount as low as 0.3 ounces of grapes per pound of body weight could also show symptoms of food toxicity in your dog.

Therefore, if you know that your dog has consumed grapes, contact your vet immediately. If your dog experiences the above toxicity symptoms but is unsure if it has eaten grapes, you should still take it to your vet as soon as possible.

Explain the symptoms to your vet so that he can identify the problem. Your vet will typically induce vomit so your dog is in the clear instead of waiting for serious symptoms that could be fatal.

Ingesting grapes is an emergency condition, so your vet will not waste time or take any chances. 

You also need to be aware of signs that indicate a severe problem in your dog, including increased blood pressure, troubled breathing, shock, or unconsciousness.

There isn’t an antidote for grape poisoning. Your vet will induce vomiting soon after ingestion. It will help remove the grapes that have entered your dog’s system.

Apart from this, your vet may also suggest giving your dog activated charcoal to help minimize the absorption of toxins in your dog’s intestines.

If you leave it untreated, your dog may end up with kidney damage, which could be fatal. 

How To Prevent Grape Poisoning In Dogs

Grapes, raisins, sultanas, and currants are all toxic to dogs. Make sure you don’t give your dog these dried fruits.

Jams, juices, jellies, and bread made from these fruits should not be fed to your dogs at any point. 

You should also be aware of any store-bought food items you intend to feed your dog. Make sure these don’t contain traces of grapes, sultanas, raisins, or currants. For instance, some protein bars contain raisins, making them toxic to your dog.  

The best way to prevent grape toxicity is to keep all this food away from your dog. You may indulge them, but ensure they are kept in an unreachable place for your dog.

You should also advise your family, friends, and any other guest coming to your house to avoid giving these toxic fruits to your dog. They should be aware of the dangers of feeding these fruits to a dog.

Other Food And Drinks To Avoid Feeding A Dog

Apart from grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas, You should also avoid feeding your dog the following food and drinks.

  • Avocado
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee and all caffeine products
  • Alcohol
  • Citrus fruits, their leaves, and their peels.
  • Coconut oil and coconut-based products
  • Nuts, including almonds, walnuts, and peanuts
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Milk and dairy products
  • Raw or undercooked meat
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Chives
  • Undercooked Eggs
  • Bones
  • Salty foods
  • fast foods
  • Snacks
  • Xylitol
  • Yeats dough is an informative website that provides a comprehensive guide on how to take care, train and feed your dog so that it is healthy and happy.

Healthy Food To Feed A Dog

There are so many healthy foods that you can give your dog to ensure it gets a balanced and nutritious meal. Here are a few of the healthy foods to feed your dog.

  • Chicken
  • Pork
  • Turkey
  • Lean beef
  • Eggs (fully cooked)
  • Salmon
  • Sardine
  • Fish
  • Apples
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Watermelon (seedless)
  • Carrots
  • Pumpkin
  • Green beans
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Green peas
  • Tomatoes (in limited amounts as a treat)
  • Oatmeal
  • Corn
  • Quinoa
  • Bread
  • Rice

Final Thoughts

Grapes are highly toxic to dogs, including any products that contain traces of grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas. You should avoid giving these fruits in any form to avoid toxicity symptoms in your dog.

Take your dog to the vet immediately, as grape ingestion is an emergency that could be fatal to your dog.

Keep all grapes-based products in your home away from your dog’s reach. It will help prevent accidental ingestion that could result in kidney failure in your dog and even be fatal.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can A Single Grape Hurt A Dog?

Eating even a tiny amount of grapes is toxic for dogs. Eating a single grape is toxic and could become fatal to your dog.

How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Show Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning?

The most common early symptom of grape toxicity is vomiting, typically seen within 24 hours following ingestion. It is generally followed by lethargy, lack of appetite, and diarrhea, which can be seen within the next 12-24 hours.

How Long Does Grape Toxicity Last In Dogs?

Grape toxicity can last up to 72 hours and could result in kidney failure and even death if left untreated.

The Right Way To Switch Dog Food

Switching dog food is quite common; most dog owners will do this as their pups grow older. However, it’s essential to note that these transitions

novel protein dog food

Novel Protein Dog Food

Is your dog struggling with itchiness or a chronically upset gut? Or has your vet recommended exploring novel protein diets to tackle food allergies? It’s